The popularity of bone broth has come back in the last few years because of the increasing popularity of the ketogenic diet, whole 30 and paleo. But all those booming diet protocols recommend drinking high-quality bone broth.
As I’m not quite a chef myself, I researched for a high quality but money-worth bone broth I can buy. I then found Kettle & Fire Bone Broth that has received great reviews.
In this article, I’m going to talk about the benefits of bone broth. Then I’m going to tell everything you need to know about Kettle & Fire Bone Broth and answer your question, “is it worth the money”?
What is Bone Broth?
All bone broths – chicken, beef, fish, and lamb – have been around for centuries and are staples in the traditional diets around the world. There are tons of ways to use bone broth from just sipping on it to using in a soup and stuffing. It will also be a great addition to mashed potato and gravy.
Bone broths are made by boiling and shimmering every part of an animal for a period of days. This shimmering process lets the bones release healing components like collagen, proline, glycine, and glutamine.
Why Drink Bone Broth?
Bone broth is not only yummy but also known for several health benefits. The followings are some of the top benefits of bone broth:
1. High in nutrition – the Bone broth is rich in protein and minerals such as calcium, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, sodium, sulfate, and potassium. Collagen, a protein made of amino acids (glycine, glutamine, and proline) is the main reasons for the bone broth to be so popular.
2. Increase energy – the nutrient-rich bone broth increases energy levels and improve motivation. The amino acids in both broths improve your mood when you are awake and help you get quality sleep during the night. Glycine, one of the amino acids in bone broth, supports relaxation and reduces anxiety when taken with calcium and magnesium which also assist energy production.
3. Improve gut health and digestion – one of the most valuable parts of bone broth, gelatin, is beneficial for restoring the strength of the gut lining and fighting food sensitivities. It also supports healthy inflammation in the digestive tract and regulates the growth of probiotics in the gut.
4. Improve joint health – As part of aging, your joints naturally become less flexible from wear and tear. The protein is found in animal’s bones, cartilage, ligaments, bone marrow. As protein-rich animal parts simmer in bone broth, collagen from animal parts leaches into the broth and become readily absorbable to help restore cartilage.
5. Supports healthy skin, hair, and nails – the bone broth is rich in collagen which is used in many anti-aging products. However, collagen molecules are too big to be absorbed through the surface of your skin. The best way to enjoy the benefits of collagen is by absorbing it through your digestive system.
6. Supports restful sleep – bone broth contains glycine, an amino acid that helps you fall asleep and improve the quality of sleep. Its magic is accomplished by glycine’s following abilities;
- Glycine lowers body temperature which induces sleepiness. This is done by increasing the blood flow of extremities reducing the core body temperature.
- Glycine increases serotonin levels. serotonin is an amino acid used to produce the sleep hormone, melatonin. Increased level of serotonin helps restore healthy sleep patterns, and encourage deeper and restful sleep.
7. Boost immune system – A healthy immune system is on a mission to hunt pathogenic cells in your bloodstream and destroy them before they get out of control. L-Arginine, an amino acid in bone broth, can boost the activity of immune cells called T cells. When the levels of L-arginine increases, the metabolism of T cells are improved and they live longer making it more effective in fighting tumors.
Kettle & Fire Company History
Kettle & Fire, headquartered in San Francisco, was established in 2013 by two brothers, Nick Marces & Justin Marces, when they were looking for the bone broth that helps heal Nick’s injury when he tore his ACL playing soccer.
After extensive researches, all they could find was frozen bone broth made with non-organic bones, non-grass-fed cows and shipped in Styrofoam containers which are horrible for the environment. Needless to say, they did not buy bone broth.
That’s actually when the brothers determined to find a way to produce a superior bone broth with the best bones, the best ingredients and packaging, and the best pricing. After a year-long journey to create the highest quality bone broth, Kettle & Fire was born.
What’s So Good About Kettle & Fire Bone Broth?
There are so many positive attributes related to this product on top of the health benefits you gain from bone broth.
Made Only with Fresh Organic Ingredients
Kettle & Fire hand picks bones from ranchers that follow grass-fed and grass finished practice in California, Colorado, and Washington State.
Meat and bones from cattle fed on grass have a high degree of the healthy omega-3 fasts and less unhealthy saturated fat harmful to humans compared to grain-fed cattle. But grass-fed cattle can be labeled as “grass-fed” under the current law even if they are fed with grain and supplemental grains as long as they were started on a grass diet.
Kettle & Fire is committed to choosing 100% certified grass-fed, grass-finished cattle to get the most nutrients such as omega-3, CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid, the fatty acid that fights cancer), and vitamins A & E.
They say, Killer bones = killer broth!
Bones Used are Free from Hormones and Antibiotics
Growth hormones are used to help cows convert the food they eat into muscle faster and more easily so that consumers can enjoy leaner beef at a lower price. Using growth hormones in animals may increase another hormone called IGF (insulin-like growth factor) that can mimic the effects of human growth hormone in harmful ways.
A study performed in 2004 showed that patients with above average IGF levels had 50% higher risks of prostate cancer and a 65% higher risk of hormone-dependent premenopausal breast cancer people with below-average IGF level.
Antibiotics are used to keep cows healthy. They are generally used as medicines to treat sick cows, prevent diseases from fruit crops and promote growth. The excess use of antibiotics can develop a resistance to them and become no longer effective in preventing from infections. This can be said true to the human that eats high-dosed cows.
That’s why Kettle & Fire does not use bones coming from cattle on growth hormones and antibiotics.
Made with High Nutrient Ingredients
Not all bones provide the same amount of nutrition. Kettle & fire uses knuckle, patella, femur and feet bones to get more white and red stem-cell marrow and higher levels of collagen. To increase nutrition, they slow simmer beef bones for 20 to 24 hours with organic spices, vegetables, and apple cider vinegar. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar helps extract nutrients from the bones.
Kettle & Fire is Never Frozen
One of their missions was to offer high quality but shelf-stable bone broth using no additives, preservatives or any other substances you wouldn’t use at home. They discovered that the key was the packaging so as soon as the bone broth is fully slow simmered and ready to eat, they package it while it’s steaming hot in an aseptic environment. This ensures no contamination in the broth, box or packaging area.
Another strategy to protect from spoilage was the use of a thin layer of heat-resistant polymer that makes sure none of the material from the packaging can leak into the bone broth.
With their innovative packaging method, Kettle & Fire bone broth can last up to 2 years in your kitchen as the packaging and containers would not react with the broth and cause it to spoil.
Packaging is Environment-Friendly
Kettle & Fire’s packaging is recyclable and made mainly of wood fiber which is a natural and renewable material. No harmful chemical byproducts are released during the manufacturing process or upon disposal. The FSC label on the package is proof of sourcing from responsible forest management.
Approved for Paleo Diet
Paleo diet is a diet that mimics what early human ate thousands of years ago. By following a whole food-based diet, the presumption is that you will lose weight from physically active lives just like ancient hunter-gatherers.
Kettle & Fire’s bone broth is approved for Paleo Diet because of its high-quality ingredients free of antibiotics and growth hormones.
Perfect for Whole 30 Diet
Whole 30 is a program where you avoid certain food for 30 days completely to help your body recover from the effect of harmful foods and reset your body. Sugar, grains, dairy, and legumes must be avoided to enjoy the benefits of the program: losing weight, getting more energy, improving athletic performance and sleep quality, and mental clarity.
Kettle & Fire’s bone broths are perfect for the Whole 30 program because it only uses grass-fed, grass-finished cattle and it supplements amino acids you need to detox your body.
Recommended for Ketogenic Diet
Rich minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus) in bone broth helps recover from the keto flu faster. If you drink bone broth from the beginning of the diet, even better. You might not even experience dreadful keto flu symptoms.
One Time Order or Subscription Program
If this is pretty much first time to try bone broth, Kettle & Fire recommends a One-Time Order with an order of 6 cartons (12 servings) so that you can try out different flavors and figure out what you like. The Company recommends drinking 3 cartons a week.
For one-time purchase, pricings are:
- 6 cartons for $7.49 per carton = $44.94
- 12 cartons for $6.75 per carton = $81.00 (Most popular choice)
- 18+ cartons for $6.49 per carton = $116.82+
If you know you will continue ordering bone broth, you can choose a subscription program and automatically get a 20% discount plus free shipping on every auto-ship order. You can choose intervals such as every month, every other month, every 3 months based on your needs.
Order sizes and pricing on a subscription are:
- 6 cartons for $6.99 per carton = $41.94
- 12 cartons for $6.49 per carton = $77.87 (Most popular choice)
- 18+ cartons for $5.99 per carton = $107.82+
Of course, you can change the order size later or cancel the subscription entirely.
The added bonus for signing up for a subscription is that you’ll gain access to a self-paced online training course for healing leaky gut with bone broth. It includes video training modules, cooking tutorials, meal plans, and more.
Hassle Free Return Policy
Kettle & Fire is extremely confident in the quality of their products. They accept returns of any products within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. If you request a refund, you will also receive a prepaid return shipping label. No questions asked.
Other Pros of Kettle & Fire
Comes with Free Shipping on Orders with 6+ Cartons. Since it has a shelf life of 2 years and a hassle free return policy, it doesn’t hurt to order over 6 cartons which is about 12 servings.
Average of 4.8 Stars on 10,000+ Reviews
Here are some of recent reviews posted on the Company’s website:
What I Don’t Like About Kettle & Fire Bone Broth
This is where my honesty comes into play. Here are a few things I don’t like about Kettle & Fire Bone Broth:
The box is small for the price you pay
The Kettle & Fire bone broth contains 16.2 Fl oz in each carton. If you are not particular about the quality of bone broth, you can buy bone broth that is double the size (32 Fl oz) for a lower price. Especially when you are feeding a large family, Kettle & Fire bone broth can get pretty costly.
No single package available
There is no option to buy a single package on their website even if you just want to try out the taste. If you want to buy one, you have to purchase from other online stores. Those stores price Kettle & Fire bone broth higher and do charge for shipping which is a big turnoff.
Flavor is on a lighter side
I grew up eating salty and flavorful food. I know I’m drinking bone broth for healthy purposes, but the beef bone broth is little blunt. It makes me wanna add salt, which is okay but should be done in moderation.
My favorite is chicken broth. It is the most flavorful amount all bone broth they carry.
Shipping period is longer
If you use Amazon, you expect a product to arrive on your doorstep the next day, right? I received my first box 5 days after placing an order. It felt like a long time.
Is It Worth the Money?
Absolutely. Of course, you need to see it yourself. But at least for me, I’m much more comfortable consuming something that is safe and highly nutritious especially when I’m on a diet.
Although I have not experienced all the benefits of bone broth listed earlier, it has helped me get over the keto flu fast and regulated my digestion system. (I had little problems with my gut health)
Now I am a big fan of bone broth (especially chicken bone broth) from Kettle & Fire. I’ll continue ordering from them and enjoying by sipping it or adding it to my keto friendly dishes.
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below with your experience in bone broth and ideas on how to take it because I will be definitely using it for a long time.